Sunday, June 21, 2009

Good things deserved to be said too...

I really hate paperwork. Really I am sure that everyone does. It is mundane and painful and just seems to sap the creativity right out of you. The words drone must in some way have originated with paperwork. Zombie too for that matter. And maybe just maybe asylum.

That being said I am trying to tie up all the loose ends of a classroom. Permanent records, orders, portfolios, reports. The looming bureaucratic end of teaching. Sometimes I want to quit my job and take a position in some rural school house in a distant land that would allow me to teach, to care, to have fun and to help my children grow.

Instead here I am where paperwork is God, and laughter is optional. Everyone is so worried about not making anyone feel like there are winners and losers. (Guess what honey there are!) I have no problem taking a little criticism. Except when someone thinks that because I am honest, it means i don't care.

Why is it that no one ever says the positive things? When was the last time someone called your boss to extol your virtues? Why are we surprised when kind words are exchanged? When did negative become the norm? Why is that that all it takes is one unhappy parent to outweigh the 10 that were thrilled with everything you did?

I know that this is indeed the way of the world, and I shouldn't take it so personally. Maybe I wouldn't if I didn't feel in jeopardy. If I didn't feel that the whole world hears one negative comment.

We are so busy saying niceties to everyone's face that we only have venom to expel behind their back.

I am making a new movement. Say truthful if not painful things to people's faces and every once in a while go to someone's boss and say a few kind words.

It might make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment